Conctact our experts to discuss your needs.
BONDERITE Bridge Technology (Formerly known as BONDERITE Two-Step Process/Flex)
Nowadays, automotive manufacturers are re-examining every aspect of a vehicle to ensure compliance with the 2025 Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards, which explains the lightweighting trend. After all, reducing a vehicle’s weight by just 10 percent can improve fuel economy by 6-8 percent.
Mixed materials play a key role in weight reduction. At Henkel we are ready to help you increase the use of alternative substrates with weight-saving properties for every part of a vehicle – from the powertrain/chassis to the body-in-white.
The Flexible Weight-Saver
Zirconium-Based Pretreatment for a Metal Mix up to 85%* Aluminum
The BONDERITE Bridge Technology enables vehicle lightweighting by processing a metal mix of up to 85* percent aluminum. A zinc phosphate coating (with or without Nickel) is applied on cold-rolled steel and zinc-coated substrates, while a zirconium-based coating is applied on the aluminum surfaces. Easily integrated into existing production lines without cost-intensive modifications, the zirconium-based pretreatment for aluminum gives you flexibility in your paint shop operation and a variety of benefits.
How You Benefit
- Allows for a reduction in vehicle weight
- Improves fuel economy
- Enables a metal mix of up to 85% aluminum to be processed via a traditional zinc phosphate
- Saves process costs compared to standard aluminum phosphating
- Selective deposition on each substrate: zinc phosphate on CRS, EG and HDG, zirconium-oxide on Aluminum*
- Excellent corrosion performance on all substrates
- Less sludge generation
- Existing phosphate systems convertible with minimal cost and downtime
*CRS: Cold-Rolled Steel, EG: Electro-Galvanized, HDG: Hot Dipped Galvanized